Translate

Saturday 24 January 2015

Watchesaw Plantation East

I played Wachesaw Plantation East, in Murrells Inlet, SC. on the heels of a major rainfall. Having just arrived from Canada, I was determined to play, even if it was cool, windy, soggy, and cartpath only.

As it turned out, I was the only player on the course in the afternoon, so I promised Larry, the cart guy, that I would endeavour to play in two hours so he wouldn't have to wait too long. My long-suffering wife joined me, albeit rather grudgingly, to help with managing the cart, and so I would have some pictures to share.

Wachesaw was the 2007 Myrtle Beach course of the year, has hosted an LPGA tournament and was one of the top fifty courses in the US in 1998. It's a really good track which was once completed by Meg Mallon in sixty two shots. Believe me, it's not a pushover, so Meg definitely golfed her ball that day.

I played from the blues, which I'm told is probably where Meg played from. It's 6618 yards with a course rating of 72.4 and a slope of 136. Well, Meg Mallon I was not, but I did keep my promise to Larry and finished in two hours. My only bright spot was a holed bunker shot on nine, after I had hit an approach shot right over the flag into the back bunker and flubbed my first bunker shot. I marked four on the card and noticed with some chagrin that Kathryn was taking pictures of birds as I holed the bunker shot, so she had to take my word for it.

After a respectable thirty eight on the front, I developed a case of the lefts, made a sixty footer for par on ten, which was, in retrospect, another bright spot, and then got on the bogey train. I righted the ship coming in, missing a three footer for par on the last that would have been a very muddy and hard fought seventy eight.  If Meg had given me a stroke a hole, I would have nipped her by one. It's funny how little facts like that put things in perspective for you.

Oh well, at least I'm finally back at it after my three month layoff. Tomorrow, it's off to Charleston and a round at Charleston National.


No comments:

Post a Comment