Translate

Wednesday 16 December 2015

Ocean City-Newport Bay

We played the Ocean City-Newport Bay course today.  While the dormant Bermuda fairways took something away from it's beauty, the course is beautiful nonetheless, with almost constant water or marsh views.  As my son said, the course must be terrific in the summer when everything is green.  The greens were excellent.  From the blue tees, Newport Bay plays 6307 yards, which is just about right for an old guy like me.

It was another one of those "if" days, where but for two silly holes where I made triple bogeys I would have given Old Man Par a serious run for his money.  On the other hand, an old guy like me is pretty happy to break eighty from the blue tees on a course he's never played before.

I managed, all day, to just play with my natural swing.  By my natural swing, I mean the swing I use when I swing with my eyes closed, or the swing I use when I'm just clipping the heads off dandelions.  It's a swing where I just swing and think of nothing, and I hit the ball about as well as I've hit it in ages.  After today, I hope I can be convinced to just keep doing the same thing.  But, once a tinkerer...

I really enjoyed the course, but was advised by the young man in the pro shop that, while Newport Bay is the prettier of the two courses at Ocean City, Seaside is his preferred course because of its shot values.  Therefore, I'll have to try to play it as well.  

This was my favourite course in the Ocean City area so far.  I may, however, play Rum Pointe before we make the trek back to the north country.  It's a Pete Dye and son collaboration, which is supposed to be another scenic gem.  One thing is for certain, Ocean City has some terrific golf on offer at very affordable rates.  This will definitely not be my last trip to this neck of the woods.






No comments:

Post a Comment