Translate

Monday 23 November 2015

Driving is about Seventy-Five Percent Mental

I think most people agree that the three most important clubs in the bag are the driver, the wedge, and the putter; not necessarily in that order.  

Ben Hogan felt the driver was the most important club, because a good drive set you up to be able to attack every hole.  It's hard to argue with that logic.  

This week in Dubai Rory McIlroy showed just how long, straight driving could help you dominate--even if the putt he made for bogey on seventeen will probably be most remembered as the moment when he really put his name on the trophy.

Sam Snead was a wonderful driver of the ball.  He also drove it long, and straight, and with a smooth rhythm that made it look effortless.  I like this quote I discovered from the Slammer:

"Driving is about seventy-five percent mental, so I believe in giving the ball some sweet talk on the tee. 'This isn't going to hurt a bit,' I whisper under my breath.  'Sambo is just going to give you a little ride.'"

I think I might just try a little sweet talk myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment