Translate

Saturday 8 April 2017

It's Setting Up to be a Shootout at Augusta Tomorrow

Well, before the tournament started, I chose Spieth over DJ. Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances made that happen due to DJ's injury off the course. Later, I said I had a feeling about Rickie getting his first Major this week. After day three at Augusta, things are shaping up to make me look like I might actually know what I'm talking about with Spieth and Fowler very much in the hunt. Not that picking either of them was going out on a limb.

However, that back nine 31 by Justin Rose to share the lead with Sergio was certainly impressive. Rose knows how to win a Major and certainly knows what it's like to be in the hunt at Augusta, so you really have to like his chances if the putter continues to cooperate. He's a great ballstriker with a sometimes balky putter.

And speaking of great ballstrikers with balky putters, how about Sergio? I know Sergio has been his own worst enemy over the years with his negative attitude, but it would be a helluva story if he could finish it off on Seve's birthday. Perhaps the stars are aligning for him. And I, for one, would be thrilled to see Sergio get a green jacket.

I still like Spieth and Fowler for the win, but we just might be seeing the Europeans start to make some noise at Augusta again as they did when Seve, Faldo, Woosnam, Olazabal, Langer, and others were there or thereabout seemingly every Spring at the Masters for years.

Whoever wins, it will almost certainly be a shootout tomorrow. The weather promises to be ideal. The course will be firm and fast as it should be, and the tournament will almost certainly be won or lost on the last nine holes on Sunday. Who could ask for more?



No comments:

Post a Comment