Translate

Sunday 2 July 2017

KPMG Women's PGA

It's not exactly a star-studded field at Tiger's Quicken Loans. In fact, there isn't even a Tiger on site. But the KPMG Women's PGA is setting up to be a fascinating day. At a course that has already given up some low numbers, including a 63, we have some potentially compelling stories.

Can my little Canadian gal, Brooke Henderson, repeat this year? At three back, she's poised and ready to give it a whirl, and I like her chances. She's showing every indication of fast becoming a big star on the LPGA tour. As a Canadian, I'm obviously biased in my support of Brooke. But, I mean, even if you're not a Canadian, what's not to like about this young lady?

How about Michelle Wie? She's playing well and sits five back to start the day. It would be nice to think she could mount a Sunday charge. But, as seems to generally be the case with Wie, the putter has been suspect at best. I also noticed that she seems to be having some neck and shoulder stiffness warming up--not a particularly good sign. 

Then we have another ball-hitting Jessie, in the form of Lexi Thompson, lurking a handful of shots back of the two leaders. It's an emotional time for her, with her mother's illness, and I wouldn't be surprised if the golfing gods were to decide to make something great happen for her after her disappointment earlier this season with the USGA four-shot penalty fiasco. 

Then you have Inbee Park also in the hunt. She knows a thing or three about winning PGA championships. And Inbee is one who can really fill-it-up on the greens.

The potential story lines abound. We have Chella Choi and Danielle Kang at the top. For both of them, pulling off a win would be life-changing. That's what will add to its difficulty. The first one, they tell me, is generally the hardest. 

I just hope we have some real excitement today; that the women play well, and the referees lose their whistles--if you get my drift.


No comments:

Post a Comment