Translate

Sunday 24 January 2016

Pure Unadulterated Class

Pure, unadulterated class--that's all you can say about Rickie Fowler.   Not only does he win in a field that included McIlroy, Spieth and Stenson, but as usual, he won in style.

After his unlucky double bogey on seven, he responded with that incredible bunker shot, holing out for eagle on the very next hole.  It seemed to me he started to play with both hands a little tight on the wheel after that, perhaps feeling the pressure, not only of the moment, but also from Thomas Pieters, who just refused to go away, almost holing his putt for eagle on eighteen to force a playoff.  

It was always in doubt; right down to the final putt.  But his chip in on seventeen, and his three footer for par on eighteen got it done.  As for me, it had me reaching for the Valium.  How these guys keep handling those short putts for par is beyond me.  I wouldn't be able to take the putter back.  Rickie was rock solid on the short ones.  He once again proved that he can handle the heat, which was supplied by Stenson, Pieters, and Rory with his eagle on eighteen to give him a sniff.

What impressed me as much as anything in the end was that, when accepting the trophy, Rickie managed to compliment Pieters on his terrific play, acknowledge Spieth and McIlroy, and also mention Henrik Stenson.  This kid is just class; pure, unadulterated class.  

I may have to get me a pair of those high tops--and maybe even one of those flat-brim caps.  As for the sweats; an old, fat guy like me could never pull that off.

No comments:

Post a Comment