Translate

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Why Worry?

Billy Casper once said, "Golfers are the greatest worriers in the world of sport."  It's true.  I tend to be a chronic worrier, and golf affords you lots of time to worry.  You spend only a fraction of your time on the golf course actually hitting the ball.  The rest of the time can be spent worrying if you aren't careful.

The great Australian player, Peter Thomson, said, "Worry is poison."  And how true.  What problem was ever made better by worrying about it?  

Some people think they don't worry when they play.  But Bobby Jones said, "Some people think they are concentrating when they're merely worrying."  Golfers tend to worry.  They worry about their swing.  They worry about the bunkers.  They worry about the water and the out of bounds.  They worry about how they look.  It's a wonder we love the game so much when it worries us as much as it does.

Yesterday Scott told me I'm playing in the number one spot for the club in the Quinte Cup this coming Sunday.  I've been playing poorly the last week and my immediate reaction was to begin to worry.  But then I read the following quote from Harry Vardon: "To play well you must feel tranquil and at peace.  I have never been troubled by nerves in golf because I felt I had nothing to lose and everything to gain."

I've played in several Quinte Cups.  I've played well in some.  In others I've played poorly.  But thinking back on it, worrying about it only ever made things worse.  So I'm going to go out on Sunday and, no matter what happens, just keep hitting it.  That was another piece of advice from Harry Vardon. 

On the other hand, I sure hope I don't screw up.



No comments:

Post a Comment