Translate

Monday 15 August 2016

An English Rose is Gold

I must say that I hoped Henrik Stenson would win the olympic golf.  But I'm pleased to see Justin Rose win a gold medal for Great Britain.  He has long been one of my favourite players.  It hasn't been an easy road for JR, but he's golden now.

I have to admit, as someone who has only recorded the golf, and has yet to watch it, I can only go by all the reports I received from other golfers.  Without exception, everyone I spoke to said the golf was "boring" and the announcing was bad.  The golf was probably "boring" to golfers or fans who spend all of their time watching the PGA tour.  Many of the players in the hunt, especially early on in the proceedings, were not household names, and the absence of many of the game's premier players definitely hurt.  

But from all accounts it was a great finish with two world-class players taking silver and gold.  Kuchar rounding out the medals with his last round charge gives the US something to hang their hat on, I suppose.  

That JR could pull it off is great for British golf.  He is a class act who has shown incredible grit in his career, going from a can't miss kid after his Open performance at 17 to an eighteen year old who couldn't make a cut on the European tour.  Rose perservered and now, with the addition of an Olympic gold medal, is destined for the Hall of Fame.  He deserves it.

As for Rory McIlroy, he apparently still doesn't care, and prefers to watch the diving anyway.  He can really be a twit sometimes.  Well, Rory's got his attitude, but JR's got the gold medal.  And don't think the golfing gods aren't paying attention.  I'm a great believer in those golfing gods.



No comments:

Post a Comment