Translate

Saturday 17 June 2017

So Far, So Good

So far, so good. The U.S. Open at Erin Hills is off to a great start. Yeah, it may not be so great for the fans of Rory, Jason Day, or DJ; but it's shaping up to be a doozy nonetheless.

I have to confess that I had started an article prior to the start of the tournament picking Rickie Fowler as the winner. I was a bit upset when he then went out and took the lead, because it might have made me appear to be smarter than I am. Then again, when I told Steve this, he reminded me that first round leaders rarely win a Major. And, he's right. Rickie has a helluva lot of work to do yet.

But, what a fantastic leaderboard we have. And it's anybody's tournament to win. Fourteen guys within a shot of the lead, Justin Thomas on a tear, a few terrific-looking Asians in the hunt, Sergio still in the game, King Louis with a chance... I mean, what more can you ask for?

Yes, they might be going pretty low for a U.S. Open. And, generally, they suggest that the USGA likes oar to be a good score. But I don't see anyone complaining so far. The winner will still have proven, come Sunday night, or Monday, that he had the right stuff and was able to grind his arse off.

Now, all I ask is that any of you clowns sitting at home with a copy of the Rules of Golf, please stay the hell off the phone, or your e-mail. We don't want to hear it!

Oh, and did I mention I was going to pick Rickie for the win? I still like him. But there's a bunch of guys in the hunt that I'm pulling for. 



No comments:

Post a Comment