Translate

Monday 5 December 2016

2017 Wish List

Prior to the Olympics I was really bullish on Jordan Spieth. Unfortunately, When he, McIlroy, DJ, and Day decided not to go to Rio, I was turned off the lot of them. I could not respect their decision not to go. It was not, in my opinion, a decision made for the good of the game. 

As a result, I have started rooting for some terrific players who did go. First of all, I'm rooting for Rickie Fowler, who has both style and substance, and a natural move I'd be happy to imitate. I hope 2017 finally brings him a Major. 

I also continue to follow Henrik Stenson. The big Swede might just have played the greatest final round ever played in a Major at St Andrews. I think he has the best swing in golf, and I hope the next year brings him another Major; just to prove that St Andrews was no fluke, in case anyone actually thought it was, and to prove that the older boys can still get it done.

I'd also love to see Patrick Reed break through and get his Major. I've always liked the way he plays the game. And the Ryder Cup proved that he has the right stuff. He may come across as a bit cocky, but he's got the game to back it up.

Finally, I hope Matsuyama wins a Major to be the first Japanese player to win one. This kid is sensational. I love guys who play their own game, and swing their own swing, not relying on teachers to hold their hand. 

I know I said, "Finally," but I have one last wish. I hope the Internationals win the President's Cup. They put on a great show last time, and although it was nice to see Bill Haas deliver the winning point for his dad, we really need the Internationals to get it done for the good of the competition. If the Internationals can't get a win, the President's Cup will become a ho hum event like the Ryder Cup was until they let the Europeans bolster the British players and make it an exciting contest.

So, here it is: Rickie Fowler wins the Open. Matsuyama wins the Masters. Henrik wins the US Open. And Reed wins the PGA Championship. Oh yeah, I also hope Tiger plays well and stays healthy. Those are my hopes for 2017. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment