Translate

Monday 14 March 2016

Ben Hogan on Golf

I was just reading the conclusion of Ben Hogan's book, Five Lessons The Modern Fundamentals of Golf.  For many, it has become like the Bible for golf.  I think, all the interesting mechanical information and advice aside, the most compelling thing was what Mr. Hogan had to say about the game.  He wrote:

   "I have always thought of golf as the best of all games--the most interesting, the most demanding, the most rewarding.  I cannot begin to express the gratification I have always felt in being part of a game with sucha wonderful flavor and spirit, a game which has produced such superb champions and attractive personalities as Harry Vardon, Francis Ouimet, Bob Jones, Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen, Tommy Armour, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Jimmy Demaret--to name only a few of the great players.  I have found the game to be, in all factualness, a universal language wherever I travelled at home or abroad.  I have really enjoyed every minute I have spent in golf--above all the many wonderful friends I have made.  I have loved playing the game and practicing it.  Whether my schedule for the following day called for a tournament round or merely a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel privileged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get out on the course again."

Can I get an "Amen?"

No comments:

Post a Comment