Translate

Thursday 17 March 2016

English Turn in New Orleans

I played English Turn in New Orleans today.  It's a terrific course.  But, after taking four shots to get on the first green, a reasonably straight forward par four, I one-putted for bogey, and thought, "here we go, it's going to be one of those days."

After then making two solid pars, I figured I was settling down.  On number four, I drove it about 275 yards into an unrepaired divot, leaving me about sixty yards over water to a front pin.  I hit it to about 10 feet and, believe it or not, rolled it in for birdie.  I took pictures of the ball in the old divot and the approach required, and finally the ball on the green.  I must admit, when I took the picture of the ball in the divot, I was anticipating a possible disaster story after, what was for me, a perfect drive.  

On the next hole, a longish par four, after that terrific birdie, I proceeded to hit a weak push off the tee, leaving myself about 200 yards to a back pin off a tough lie in the rough with the ball well above my feet.  I played what I thought to be the smart shot, short and left of the green in a bunker.  I then made the mistake of using my 54 degree wedge, a club that has given me nothing but grief, and promptly thinned it over the green into the bushes.  After dropping in the bunker I had to play out of a fried-egg lie to about 30 feet short of the pin.  Three putts later, I had a triple.  That's golf.  One minute you look like a golfer, the next, you're a bum.

It was pretty much all downhill from there.  I finished tired, aching, and rather discouraged.  However, I can't wait to tee it up next.  My wife tells me they have another tee time at English Turn tomorrow through GolfNow at 0810 for forty bucks.  In that case I'm sure my back will feel better, and I have banished the 54 degree wedge, never to be used again. I have also decided to put the Hogan blades back in the bag.  And did I mention that I putted left hand low for the second day in a row and putted really well--if I forget the three-putt on five.  


Good courses like English Turn really let you know the state of your game.  You can't fake it on championship courses.  Mine is definitely not so good, but it was, after all, only the second round I've played in four months.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  I now have a used Callaway forged 54 degree wedge for sale.  Dirt cheap.



No comments:

Post a Comment