Translate

Monday 7 March 2016

Rory and Gary

I've been a fan of Rory McIlroy.  He's been a fantastic player.  My people on my mother's side hail from his neck of the woods, so I have even more reason to root for the Irish kid.  But, like Brandel Chamblee, I worry about this workout craze he seems to have adopted.

Gary Player was quick to come to Rory's defense when Brandel made his comments.  After all, working out really helped Gary become a great champion, and stay in the game when many of his contemporaries were long gone.  But Gary never pumped himself up to the level Rory has. Even in his prime, Gary was skinny as a rake.

There are only so many hours in the day.  And, while Rory is pumping iron, someone else is honing their short game.  I guess it's all a matter of priorities and balance.  What I do, however, know is that no amount of iron-pumping can give someone the talent and the touch that Rory has.  He has a gift for the game.  I just hope we see fewer clips of him in the gym, and more clips of him lifting trophies.




No comments:

Post a Comment