Translate

Saturday 22 August 2015

Dreaming of Sedgefield

I must admit, at least when it comes to golf, I'm old fashioned.  I don't tend to buy into the mentality that new is better.  As I sit and watch Tiger making a run at the Wyndham Championship at Sedgefield, I can't help but think that this is about as good as it gets.  I love the old golf courses, especially the Donald Ross tracks, with those greens.

Love of money may be the root of all evil, and I've never been that interested in having more than just enough, but when you look at clubs like Sedgefield, and the many other wonderful Donald Ross private clubs, I can't help but admit that being independently wealthy certainly must have its perks.  There are so many wonderful courses I'll probably never play because I'm not wealthy enough to move in the circles of those who can afford it.

That being said, there are many great public courses that a joker like me can still enjoy.  But, watching them play on that wonderful Sedgefield course, I must confess to being just a little envious.  But then, if you love golf, who wouldn't be envious?  

Oh, and isn't it nice to see Tiger back to playing decent golf?  I must confess, I've never been a fan of his behaviour on the golf course, but what a golfer.  And give the devil his due, Tiger has sure brought in the punters.  They had to print 49,000 extra tickets at the Wyndham because Tiger showed up.  I guess, if it's about bringing out the fans and bringing in the bucks, Tiger, on his game, is undoubtedly very good for golf; very, very good for golf.

And, if you are a golfer, Donald Ross was very good for golf as well.  I intend to play as many of his courses as I can before someone--and I'm not talking about the wife--says, "It's enough."  Any Sedgefield members who might feel inclined to take pity on a poor, old, golf-crazy, retired guy like me, I'm game to play anytime.  It will take me about fourteen hours to get there, so I'd need about sixteen hours notice.  I promise, I'd be on my best behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment