Translate

Tuesday 25 August 2015

She's Back, Baby

Lydia Ko won her third Canadian Women's Open last week.  I taped it, so I missed the playoff.  But, in one respect at least, it was classic Ko.  She was completely unflappable.

I have wondered why she has sort of disappeared lately, after her ascendance to number one.  I hear she had been changing things under Leadbetter, which certainly caused me some concern.  I know golfers are always learning, and trying to get better, but to start making changes when you're at the top of the game doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.  I don't really know what's happening there, so I won't advertise my ignorance any further on the subject.

Suffice it to say, Lydia is something to behold.  She seems so calm.  Playing that last round, with all the madness, and watching Stacey Lewis, among others, threaten her lead, she just kept plodding along, although clearly not in possession of her best stuff.  She was a study in patience.

She didn't panic.  She never lost her composure.  Whatever she's taking, I need to get me some.  She has always seemed to be blissfully unaware of what she's accomplishing.  She just rolls along.  She's not the longest.  She's not the best, I suspect, in any statistical category, except perhaps getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes this week, which is the only stat that really counts. 

Lydia reminds me of Jordan Spieth in this respect.  She gets a heckuva lot from what game she possesses.  She doesn't seem to have Spieth's fire; although I suspect she has plenty of fire in her belly.  She just doesn't let us, or her opponents, know what she's thinking like Spieth does.  She's inscrutable (I like using that word).  This week, like many others we've seen with Lydia, she was a study in composure, and in patience.  She's a champ.  

And how about that new little Korean gal, Sei Young Kim; isn't she something special?  I thought she was going to birdie the last hole which would have got her into the play-off.  She's definitely got the right stuff.

These ladies can flat out play.  They're definitely not just pretty faces.





No comments:

Post a Comment